What Have You Done?
I love that question! I have to confess that the first time I heard it, my mother was actually making the statement, “Look at the mess you’ve made!”
For the purpose of this article, the question we’re really asking is, “What have you done to make 2016 your best year ever?” Well-intentioned New Year’s resolutions have long been forgotten by many. Others have simply succumbed to the daily grind and allowed life to take over, putting their plans on the perpetual back burner.
Success Results Planning Goals Goal Setting
A Pattern And A Solution
Early this year, I noticed a pattern in what business leaders were saying throughout the region:
- Some were expressing frustration over turnover among key employees and the disruption and cost incurred as a result.
- Others were reluctant to delegate more responsibility to key employees because they had been disappointed so many times before.
- Some were concerned about how they were going to handle important inflection points in their growth.
- Others observed that important team members were struggling to keep up with the demands of a changing marketplace or workforce.
- A few were searching for ways to engage top-notch employees who showed real promise but had no immediate promotion pathway.
Do you see the pattern? So did I.
Success Results Leadership Goals Development
7 Goal Setting Steps
Acknowledgment: RAC Connections January 2, 2014
The keys to living without limits have always been the same. They are clarity, competence, and concentration. Nothing gains more clarity and commands more concentration than setting goals. Goal setting will help you live without limits. Learning how to set goals is an art. Learning why to set goals is a necessity. Here are 7 must-have conditions to set goals.
1. State your goal in positive terms.
People often set a goal in terms of what they don't want. "I don't want to smoke or I don't want to be angry..." Goal setting should focus more on "what you want to do or want you to be." See the difference? Hear the nuance? Are you ready to state positively every goal you want to achieve?
2. Make sure the goal can be self-initiated, self maintained, and
that the goal doesn't depend on the attitude of your neighbor or behavior of anyone else. The success of your goal must depend on you and you alone.
3. Your goal must be sensory specific.
The clearer the picture, the more compelling and the more attractive it is, the greater the drive to reach your final destination. Act as if the goal has already been achieved. Make a very clear image, in rich details, and you will be so enthusiastic that you will automatically attract the solution.
4. State the context of the goal.
"Where and when will my goal be achieved?" The answer can be obvious for some goals, but not at all for others. Try to be as specific as possible.
5. Run a quality control check on the goal to ensure balance is in all areas of your home & work life.
Above all, you don't want to lose your balance. When you run this quality control check, you plan a win-win strategy. Everything is one system and the whole system must win. You will find peace of mind in knowing that you are in harmony with the system. Step back and look at all areas of your life. Is your goal worth it?
6. State the resources needed to achieve the goal: what is the price to pay?
There is always a price to pay for everything. There is always some kind of sacrifice to make when you set a worthy goal. In this step, you will define all that you will need, in terms of time, money, and energy.
7. State the value and the consistency of the goal.
Why do I want to reach this goal? Why is it important to me? Is this goal in harmony with my vision, beliefs, and values? Answer these questions. If you don't seem to be satisfied with the answers, maybe you should change your goal. Set a new goal until you feel it is in harmony with your passion, vision, and mission.
When you properly set a goal with this model, two important things occur. First, you will be in total harmony with your vision, belief, and value system, because if "You" agree you will offer no resistance. Second, you will be programmed to succeed. Indeed, your entire neurology and physiology are both instructed to drive you towards obtaining your desired goal. You are totally focused.
Again, The keys to living without limits have always been the same. They are clarity, competence, and concentration. When you set crystal clear goals and you respect the "7" must-have conditions, you can literally live without limits!
Planning Goals Goal Setting